Thailand Top Country for Expat Experience
Thailand is the number 1 country in the world for the expat experience, according to HSBC’s 2013 Expat Explorer Survey. Expat Explorer has ranked the nation as a top 3 location for the expat experience for the past five years.
The annual survey’s Expat Experience category evaluates the lifestyle of expats, particularly (1) the level of ease with which expats set up lives in their new countries, (2) how well they integrate with the community and (3) their overall quality of life. Thailand ranked 3rd for expats’ ease of setting up lives, 3rd for integration into their new countries and 1st for quality of life, which put it in the overall top spot on the list. The survey highlighted Thailand as a model expat location for many reasons, including:
- 76 percent of respondents found integrating into the local community easy, and 98 percent said they immerse themselves in the local culture.
- 76 percent said they made friends easily, compared to 52 percent globally.
- 59 percent of expats in Thailand saw an improvement in their social life.
- 44 percent of respondents said they moved to Thailand to improve their quality of life, compared to a global average of 29 percent.
- 83 percent of expats in Thailand say they enjoy Thailand’s food and local produce more than any other country’s.
The Expat Explorer Survey is commissioned by HSBC Expat and conducted by YouGov, an independent research company that questioned more than 7,000 expats through an online survey. The survey is now in its sixth year, and in addition to Expat Experience, covers Expat Economics, Raising Children Abroad and Expat Expenses.